Manipur University was established on 5th June, 1980 under the Manipur University Act. 1980 (Manipur Act 8 of 1980), as a teaching cum-affiliating university at Imphal with territorial jurisdiction over the whole of the state of manipur and it was converted into a central university w.e.f. 13/10/2005. The Manipur University Act No 54 of 2005 received the assent of the President on 28/12/2005. At present the University has 48 affiliated colleges inclusive of 2 medical colleges. Manipur Institute of Technology (MIT) is a constituent college of the University.
The main objectives of the university are to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities; to make provisions for integrated courses in humanities, natural and physical sciences, social sciences, forestry and other allied displines in the educational programmes; to take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process, interdisciplinary studies and research; to educate and train manpower for the development of the country in general and North Eastern Region in particular; to pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions of the people of the state; and also to enhance their intellectual, academic and cultural development.
Located at Canchipur, Imphal, the capital city of Manipur. The university campus is spread over an area of 287.53 acres in the historic canchipur which is the site of the old palace of Manipur "The Langthabal Konung" (Palace), Which was established by Maharaja Ghambhir Singh in 1827 AD just after the libration of Manipur from Burmese occupation. Maharaja Gambhir Singh took his last breath at Canchipur. Canchipur is also the Birth Place of Dr. Lamabam Kamal, a renowned poet of Manipur.